TREMONTON CITY CORPORATION
LAND USE AUTHORITY BOARD
February 10, 2016
Steve Bench, Chairman/Zoning Administrator
Chris Breinholt, City Engineer
Marc Christensen, Parks & Recreation Director
Linsey Nessen, Deputy Recorder
Chairman Bench called the Land Use Authority Board Meeting to order at 9:01 a.m. The meeting was held February 10, 2016 in the City Council Meeting Room at 102 South Tremont Street, Tremonton, Utah. Chairman Steve Bench, Engineer Chris Breinholt, Director Marc Christensen, and Deputy Recorder Linsey Nessen were in attendance. Manager Shawn Warnke and Director Paul Fulgham were excused.
1. Approval of agenda:
Motion by Engineer Breinholt to approve the February 10, 2016 agenda. Motion seconded by Director Christensen. Vote: Chairman Bench – aye, Engineer Breinholt – aye, and Director Christensen – aye. Motion approved.
2. Approval of minutes: January 20, 2016 and January 27, 2016
Motion by Director Christensen to approve the minutes of January 20, 2016 and January 27, 2016. Motion seconded by Chairman Bench. Vote: Chairman Bench – aye, Engineer Breinholt – aye, and Director Christensen – aye. Motion approved.
3. New Business:
a. Discussion and consideration of approving a final canal burial design – Tremont Center LLC
Engineer Breinholt stated he previously received a copy of the burial design to review and the point he made has been taken into account.
Engineer Breinholt stated that since Mr. Micah Capener will be burying the canal, the City should have him put the syphon in at the same time and leave it for the City to build the rest of. It could be set up so the City can come in at a later date and make the connection. Engineer Breinholt then suggested having the contractor Mr. Capener hires to bury the canal do all the work and get it all done together. The rest of the project is big enough; however, that it will need to be done as a City project and bid out. Mr. Capener stated the boar under the canal will also need to be done prior to sealing the canal up. Engineer Breinholt stated the boar does need to be done before then.
Chairman Bench asked what Mr. Capener’s timeline was for putting a culvert in the canal. Mr. Capener stated it will be started right now. He is meeting with the Land Use Board today and the City’s RDA Board on Tuesday, February 16th to ratify the expenditure and they will start moving dirt next week or soon thereafter. Chairman Bench stated the City may need to look at having Mr. Capener’s contractor boar the road as well and the City will reimburse them. Engineer Breinholt stated the cost is going to be big enough that they might not be able to do it without going out to bid, but that process could be started right away.
Mr. Capener stated the landscape plan is probably going to need to be adjusted as it was initially planned to plant a Honey Locust tree where the green power box is going to need to be placed. Chairman Bench stated the box can be incorporated into the landscape plan. Mr. Capener agreed and stated the plan may just need to be tweaked slightly to hide the power box. Chairman Bench stated bushes could be planted or something that won’t obstruct the sight line of traffic. The tree count exceeds the requirement already.
Mr. Capener asked if Honey Locust trees will be allowed by the Canal Company. Engineer Breinholt stated he had no clue. Mr. Capener stated when they originally met with the Canal Company, they did not want trees anywhere on or near the canal but he wasn’t sure if a Honey Locust tree is a small, low rooted tree or if it is a tree with roots that will cause problems. Director Christensen stated the Honey Locust tree is not an ornamental tree and it will get bigger. Mr. Capener stated they may have to plant shrubs instead and adjust the landscape plan accordingly.
Mr. Capener stated he needs an estimate on the cost for street lights before the RDA meeting on Tuesday. Chairman Bench stated the same lights will be required as were put in on 400 West and that Director Fulgham has those costs and told Mr. Capener to contact Director Fulgham. Mr. Capener asked if they need to escrow for the chip seal on Main Street where it is a UDOT road. Engineer Breinholt stated the City won’t be chip sealing Main Street. Chairman Bench stated Mr. Capener will be required to finish the road to whatever UDOT’s standards are so there will not be an escrow to the City for that.
Chairman Bench asked if Mr. Capener will be putting in the conduit for all the street lights. Mr. Capener stated he didn’t think so as Director Fulgham put the conduit in for the lights on 400 West. Chairman Bench stated Mr. Capener needs to get with Director Fulgham to address that. Mr. Capener stated he will try and get the cost estimate from Director Fulgham before the meeting Tuesday and will try and meet with Director Fulgham Tuesday morning.
Chairman Bench asked about moving the power underground. Mr. Capener stated the vision is that the overhead power will be left there for now while the boxes are set and then the overhead power will be moved up to three new poles and the underground power will be buried at some point. Chairman Bench stated when Mr. Capener is done, there will still be overhead power, but it will be out on the street. Mr. Capener stated that was correct, but that they will be prepared to bury it if and when they have the money to do it.
Engineer Breinholt asked if Mr. Capener has taken this plan over to Darren McFarland at the Canal Company. Mr. Capener stated he has not yet as he didn’t want to take the plan to them until he knew the City was okay with the design. Engineer Breinholt stated he would call Adam Mackelprang at Alliance to talk to him about the slope of the box culvert. Mr. Capener stated he would also take the plan over to Darren at the Canal Company to make sure they are fine with the plan.
Engineer Breinholt stated he was wondering if the City wants to make the storm drain connection now or wait until development comes in. There is currently a finished intersection and if the City waits, it might be closer to the time when the City is ready or another developer can develop the other side of the road and the tie in could be made at that time while construction is going on rather than digging into a brand new area of road. Mr. Capener stated there can be no more development until the storm drain is connected as it is currently dumping into the canal, which isn’t allowed. Engineer Breinholt stated that is correct. But for right now, the storm drain could be stubbed to the box, which can be done without tearing up any of the existing improvements. Then when new development comes, the connection can be completed because they will be completing the road. Mr. Capener suggested doing it now rather than waiting as that area will probably develop in the next couple of years and that will save the City from having to come back and do it at a later date.
Engineer Breinholt stated his thoughts were to have Mr. Capener’s contractor complete the project clear to the manhole. Mr. Capener stated if the project has to be bid out anyway; the City might as well do it all together. Engineer Breinholt stated the canal work should be done with the piping of the canal and be done by the same contractor. Chairman Bench stated if the City’s portion is done by Mr. Capener’s contractor, the City will just have to reimburse Mr. Capener. Engineer Breinholt stated they will need to check with Manager Warnke or Finance Director Curtis Roberts to make sure the reimbursement would be okay.
Mr. Capener asked Engineer Breinholt to get with Mr. Mackelprang from Alliance Engineering as soon as possible with any needed adjustments so he can get the most updated plan to the contractors for bids. Engineer Breinholt stated he would. Mr. Capener stated he would also get with Mr. McFarland from the Canal Company.
Motion by Engineer Breinholt to approve the plan for boxing the canal and the storm drainage around the canal with the edits made by him to tie in the syphon manhole directly into the catch basin on 400 West and with the approval from the Canal Company on the boxing of the canal. It is also Engineer Breinholt’s proposal that Mr. Capener bid out all the storm drainage on the property side of the canal including the tie into the box in the street, the syphon under the canal, and the manhole on the south side of the syphon and for the City to reimburse Mr. Capener for that portion of the project. The City would then bid out and construct the rest of the project as a City project on their own. Motion seconded by Chairman Bench. Vote: Chairman Bench – aye, Engineer Breinholt – aye, and Director Christensen – aye. Motion approved.
b. Walk ins*
There were no walk ins.
a. Chairman/Zoning Administrator – Steve Bench
b. City Engineer – Chris Breinholt
c. Recreation Director – Marc Christensen
d. Public Works Director – Paul Fulgham
Director Fulgham was excused from the meeting.
e. City Manager – Shawn Warnke
Manager Warnke was excused from the meeting.
5. Public comments: Comments limited to five minutes.
No public comments.
Motion by Engineer Breinholt to adjourn the meeting. Motion seconded by consensus of the Board. The meeting adjourned at 9:48 a.m.
The undersigned duly acting and appointed Recorder for Tremonton City Corporation hereby certifies that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of the minutes of the Land Use Authority Board Meeting held on the above referenced date. Minutes prepared by Deputy Recorder Linsey Nessen.
Dated this _____day of ___________, 2016
Darlene S. Hess, City Recorder
*Utah Code 52-4-202, (6) allows for a topic to be raised by the public and discussed by the public body even though it was not included in the agenda or advance public notice given; however, no final action will be taken.