Frequently Asked Questions2016-11-01T09:54:46-06:00


How long do I have to take care of my ticket?

On your citation, you were notified by the officer that you have not less than five, no more than fourteen days to appear on your ticket. You must contact the court to either pay your ticket or schedule an appointment to see the judge within that timeframe. Some charges require a mandatory appearance before the judge. In that case, you will need to call the court to schedule a court date. Please make sure to notify the court if your address is different than the address on your citation. On charges that do not require an appearance, you still have a right to see the judge if you want or you can resolve the citation by paying over the phone, by mail or at the clerks office.

How do I prove that I had insurance on the day of my citation?

A violation of No Proof of Insurance may be dismissed when verification in the form of a letter is presented to the Court with the following required information:

1. Letter on Insurance Agency letterhead
2. Name of insured.
3. Vehicle description (must match the vehicle on the citation)
4. Coverage was in effect on the date and time the citation was issued.
5. Agents signature
6. Citation or Case Number.

Present this letter to the Court in person, or by mail to:
Tremonton Justice Court
102 S Tremont St
Tremonton UT 84337

You may also have your agent fax the letter to (435) 257-9513.

If the requirements cannot be met, contact the court to set an appointment with the Judge.
PLEASE NOTE: An insurance care or declaration of benefits is NOT sufficient proof.

What do I need to do to resolve a warrant?

Call the court at (435)257-9509 for specific information about what to do on your charges/warrant. In general, if you have a warrant then a warrant fee has been added to the original charges and your driver’s license may be suspended.

On charges that do not require an appearance before the Judge, you can pay off the warrant and pick up a clearance for your drivers license. You would then need to take the clearance to the Driver’s License Division to get your license reinstated.

On charges that do require an appearance before the Judge, the clerk will require you to post bail in full (cash or card) and sign a promise to appear prior to recalling the warrant.

What is a public defender and how do I get one appointed on my case?

Everyone is entitled to representation by counsel. You can decide if you want representation at any stage of the court process. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may fill out an Affidavit with the Court and be considered for a public defender who is paid by the city to represent those who cannot afford it. The Court is under strict guidelines regarding the qualifications for appointment of a public defender. After filling out the Affidavit, the Judge will review it with you and determine if you qualify.

How do I request a change in my sentence or fine?

Any changes to your sentence/fines must be done by the Judge. You will need to call the clerk at (435)257-9509 to schedule an appointment to see the Judge.