TREMONTON CITY CORPORATION
LAND USE AUTHORITY BOARD
April 20, 2016

Members Present:
Steve Bench, Chairman/Zoning Administrator
Chris Breinholt, City Engineer
Shawn Warnke, City Manager
Marc Christensen, Parks & Recreation Director
Paul Fulgham, Public Works Director
Cynthia Nelson, Deputy Recorder

Chairman Bench called the Land Use Authority Board Meeting to order at 9:03 a.m. The meeting was held April 20, 2016 in the City Council Meeting Room at 102 South Tremont Street, Tremonton, Utah. Chairman Steve Bench, Engineer Chris Breinholt, Manager Shawn Warnke, Director Marc Christensen, Director Paul Fulgham, and Deputy Recorder Cynthia Nelson were in attendance.

1. Approval of agenda:

Motion by Director Fulgham to approve the April 20, 2016 agenda. Motion seconded by Director Christensen. Vote: Chairman Bench – aye, Engineer Breinholt – aye, Manager Warnke – aye, Director Christensen – aye, and Director Fulgham – aye. Motion approved.

2. New Business: The following items were discussed out of order.

a. Final site plan approval for Station Assisted Living – Lora Burrell

Chairman Bench asked the Burrell’s to clarify the parking lot lights will be a downlight and not broadcast. It is not noted on the plan. The design is #P41L6K. Chairman Bench will look online and see if that is the correct type of lighting.

Chairman Bench asked if there has been headway with the streetlight. Mr. Burrell said he has not heard from Lyle Holmgren since he spoke with Chairman Bench. Chairman Bench said Mr. Holmgren was going to see about putting a gooseneck on the power pole.

Manager Warnke will need to check the rules and see if the Burrell’s must run conduit to the building. Mr. Burrell noted the conduit is included on the plan. Chairman Bench stated UTOPIA is at the road and has been installed by the developer. It is an option to landowners to use UTOPIA or Frontier. Manager Warnke thought it was required for subdivisions to install the conduit up to the building. Chairman Bench said it is stubbed to the boxes up front.

The sidewalk is part of the development agreement. Mr. Burrell noted they discussed the sidewalk with Mr. Holmgren. Chairman Bench asked how many employees they will have. Ms. Burrell said there will be two (2) employees on during a shift. Mr. Burrell said the property will have twelve (12) parking stalls. Chairman Bench stated there must be one (1) stall for every two (2) beds which will leave four (4) additional stalls. There is a fire hydrant across the street.

Chairman Bench asked where any additional mechanical equipment is located. Ms. Burrell said it is in the mechanical room. Each room will have its own condensing unit within the building above. They will not be seen and they will be quiet. There are two that will be outside that regulate the common area. The only thing on the roof will be the exhaust fan and it will be painted to match.

There was talk about the exterior lighting. Ms. Burrell said they did not put any lighting in the back because of the home that is there. Mr. Burrell said the exterior lights will be soft cam lights. The plan shows electrical stubbed in for the walking path. It will be put in after the final grade to determine the best approach. There will probably be some on the pergola.

Director Fulgham noted UTOPIA conduit needs to be stubbed in at the property line by the sidewalk and would be shared between two (2) properties. Chairman Bench asked the Burrell’s to find a picture of the exterior lights and send it over to verify it is a downlight.

Motion by Director Fulgham to approve the Station final site plan as long as the parking lot lighting meets our standard. Chairman Bench said the street lighting is figured out. You can put a gooseneck on the wooden pole. Engineer Breinholt said that should have been part of the approval of the subdivision. Western Ag was not required to install. Mr. Holmgren is working with them to get it put in. Mr. Burrell told Mr. Holmgren it is his responsibility. If they need to put a pole in they can get one put in. Motion seconded by Engineer Breinholt. Chairman Bench said that as part of the development agreement, we know the sidewalk needs to be put in and it will be eight (8) feet in the front and go down to four (4) feet. Vote: Chairman Bench – aye, Engineer Breinholt – aye, Manager Warnke – aye, Director Christensen – aye, and Director Fulgham – aye. Motion approved.

b. Dollar Tree site plan review – Tremont Center

Jamie Davis with Stout Building said he will be the Project Manager. Jeremy Terry introduced himself. He is with RCB1, the development company. He is with Ensign Development. Chairman Bench sent comments regarding the site plan to Alliance Engineers and has not received a new set. Mr. Davis never received the comments or he would have followed up. He asked if they can get a tentative approval based on certain conditions being met. It is in a crisis stage of getting it moving forward with the land owner. Chairman Bench said the plat has not been recorded. They will have to talk to the developer.

Mr. Terry said Micah Capener told them it should be any day. Chairman Bench noted they are waiting for Mr. Capener to sign a development agreement, escrow, and CC&R. Mr. Terry said the CC&R has been in the process for a long time but is very close. Hopefully it will be done within the week.

Mr. Davis would like to get reviews started on the building plans. He can get the plans delivered today. It can probably be on next week, if the comments can be reflected on the plat and plan quick enough with time to do a review prior to the next meeting. Mr. Davis will get it done today.

Chairman Bench noted the following comments need to be addressed:

• There is no landscape plan
• The final plat is approved but not recorded
• Recorded easements and pad should be shown on the site plan
• Communication conduits must be put in
• Water sewer drainage lines need to be labeled as private
• Landscape islands at ten (10) feet wide
• ADA requirements for parking
• Drive aisles behind parking stall on northwest side of lot must be 25 feet
• Deliver access needs to be paved
• Sidewalk from AutoZone side continued in addition, it will be part of Main Street. It must also be connected to the parking lot
• Overall storm drain plan, which is part of overall development
• The landscape plan must be stamped by a landscape architect
• The existing field drains below must be maintained or rerouted to continue their function
• Need a storm water pollution prevention plan – need permit
• Parking and building lights must be identified and point down
• Signage plan and elevation of building to meet guidelines

There is a light in the island. Manager Warnke does not recall the light reflected on the parking lot layout. Chairman Bench said they need to take care of the light.

Chairman Bench noted the following additional comments that need to be addressed:

• Be a 25 foot back up distance for drive aisle
• Show sidewalk connection between the sidewalk directly in front of AutoZone and Dollar Tree
• Sidewalk must be a minimum of five (5) feet wide per design guidelines

Chairman Bench noted there is striping on the west side of the building. Mr. Terry said that area will be for loading and will not have any parking. Chairman Bench noted there will be an island built around the light. He also asked if there is sufficient snow stacking area for the site and Tremont Center. If mechanical equipment is shown, how will it be screened from view? If it is on the roof, it must be painted to blend in. Mr. Terry said the roof line comes above. Chairman Bench noted fences or a parapet are allowed. It can also have a high roofline elevation that hides the mechanical.

Chairman Bench noted there can be no outdoor sales. Accessible vehicle spaces shall have a five (5) foot aisle for each space for ADA. Engineer Breinholt said the ADA requirement is that at least one stall must be van accessible and the aisle must be eight (8) feet long. The parking stall and aisle must be eight (8) foot minimum, but City Code requires the stall to be ten (10) feet. Chairman Bench said they would need two (2) handicap accessible stalls.

There are storm water basin requirements. There must be some landscaping element to break up the mass of the west elevation such as: trees, bushes, trellis with vine, etc. Manager Warnke asked what view would be facing Main Street. The building will be built out of block. There will be windows on the front only. Engineer Breinholt noted that AutoZone faces south and Dollar Tree will face north. If the back is facing Main Street, it should be dressed up to look like a front. Chairman Bench said that is part of the DRC (Design Review Committee).

The proposed service lateral is aligned to be located under the trash enclosures. Chairman Bench noted they do not want any service lines under the trash enclosures. It should be noted on the construction drawings that all utility companies will have time to come do what they need. There must be a signage plan. The site does not seem to meet the standard 116.45 for parking in the front. It will be going to City Council to amend.

The original plan for Tremont Center was to have the buildings pushed as close as possible to Main Street but it did not happen. Mr. Terry said Dollar Tree was planned where it is to share the parking flow of traffic and have synergy with everyone to the front of the store. He understands the back should not be blight to Main Street. Chairman Bench noted the front of AutoZone faces Main Street because they are on the corner. The back of the building must look like it is part of Main Street frontage or the building can be turned around. Mr. Terry would prefer not to turn the direction at this point. Engineer Breinholt agreed that traffic will work better how it is planned.

Chairman Bench said Dollar Tree could put in fake looking windows in the back. Manager Warnke understands the reason for Dollar Tree to face north, but as far as Main Street perspective, it would be nice to face south.

Chairman Bench said the DRC notes there must be certain trash receptacles, bike rack, and a bench. A crosswalk is encouraged with designated stripping from Main Street sidewalk to the building. The sidewalk in the front must be stubbed to the parcel and parking lot. All landscape curbing must be six (6) inch edging curbing made of concrete. It also addresses irrigation. We hope everyone will be consistent with the parking lot lighting.

Tom Greer said he will use the same type of lighting. Behind ShopKo and Results, there is a single pole with a single outlet down facing light. The center of the parking lot has a four head. The south side of the access road is a single head facing down over the road. Chairman Bench said the taller street lights were put in for general parking. AutoZone has smaller lights that others could copy for their own parking. ShopKo put in metal halide but the others will probably use the same fixture but go with LED. Mr. Greer said if they all use the same color they will look the same.

Engineer Breinholt sent a memo to the engineer Adam Mackelprang. Chairman Bench said it is nice to get the information to the Land Use Authority Board at least a week before the meeting so they can review. He does not see the plat being recorded this week. There is a fee for the site plan. There are several pages under the application that reflect what the site plan should contain. Mr. Mackelprang has a copy.

Chairman Bench said Mr. Capener is trying to copy the development in South Logan that has the back of the buildings on Main Street but they look like a front. Manager Warnke said the form and content of Main Street were meant to perpetuate and continue. The front of Dollar Tree would be nice to see from Main Street. Mr. Terry said Dollar Tree requires the parking be in front of the store. Manager Warnke asked if the façade on the front can be replicated on the back. Mr. Terry said that would cost another $100K and cannot be done.

Mr. Terry said the building can be flipped and have the parking up front quite easily. The trash would need to stay where it is. The back can be dressed up but they cannot put glass across the back and have an awning. There is not a lot of flexibility to change the front of the store where people will walk in per Dollar Tree. The back can be dressed up. Manager Warnke would like to see how that would look. He would also like to see the other option of pushing the building back and putting the parking and front of the store on the south. Director Fulgham said the back of AutoZone will face ShopKo and will be no different than having the back of Dollar Tree facing ShopKo.

Mr. Terry said the building was set up with the front facing north per Main Street Ordinance. It looks much better having the front of the store facing Main Street. The concern with switching the building is the flow of traffic and the architects will have to start over. Mr. Davis would like the building to stay how it is planned. Mr. Terry asked the Board what he can do to improve the look of the back of the building without having to recreate the look from the front. Would the Board like pillars similar to ShopKo? Chairman Bench said having the parapet coming around the back would be good. Engineer Breinholt said windows would be nice in the back. Mr. Terry said Dollar Tree will not allow windows in the back of the store because of security issues.

Manager Warnke noted the Board will work as quickly as they can to turn it around. The building will be on Main Street for a long time. It will be worth it to get it right even if it takes an extra week or two. Mr. Terry said they will do some work and present it to the Board. He asked if he had their support to move the building back and put the parking and the front of the store on the south. Manager Warnke said that is the preferred alternative. The back will never look like the front. Mr. Terry will talk with the architect and engineer. It will cost more as they have to completely redesign and change the site plan.

Engineer Breinholt said the final plat identifies the building pad so that will also be affected. The pads were identified and the rest of the area was for utility easements.

c. Do It Best site plan review – Tremont Center – Tom Greer

Chairman Bench asked about the storm drain and the masonry enclosure. The plan showed the bench, trash receptacle, and bike rack. The construction drawing must include telecommunication conduit, notice of open trench, and conduit for power, gas, and Rocky Mountain light fixture. Mr. Greer will put in a new fire hydrant and lights.

The landscape plan shows 21 big rocks. Engineer Breinholt noted that cobblestone is a mess and impossible to maintain and keep looking good. Trash and debris get stuck in it. Mr. Greer said trash will get stuck in whatever is between Results and Greer’s. Engineer Breinholt said cobblestone is hard to walk. He does not know what would work better in the area. Mr. Greer agreed the area will need constant maintenance.

Chairman Bench said Results talked about getting a wrought iron fence between their building and ShopKo and Greer’s as the isle between them is not for foot traffic. There may come a time when a walkway is necessary somewhere and it may need to go by the grocery store. Chairman Bench suggested concrete for the ten (10) foot section next to Greer’s. Mr. Greer said he could put in asphalt. Chairman Bench said the full ten (10) feet does not need to be asphalt. There could be five (5) feet of asphalt and five (5) feet of landscape.

Director Fulgham noted that decision would be up to Mr. Greer. His responsibility is to maintain the integrity of the area. If there is pavement down kids may come to ride skateboards and have liability. Mr. Greer would need to be responsible for the liability and would have to maintain the snow. Chairman Bench said Micah Capener may need to shift the grocery store over and put in a common walkway. Chairman Bench said the idea of the whole project is to be walkable. Director Fulgham said it would be helpful to have a master plan that would show walkways and drive access, etc. The developer should be responsible for putting in a walkway.

Mr. Greer noted the light at the far end of Result’s is not on their property line. The light for Greer’s will not be on his property. He will put in a couple lights. The parking lot lights are not in the islands, they are just on a post in the parking lot.

Manager Warnke wondered if there will be enough room to stack snow. Engineer Breinholt said snow goes in parking spaces or islands usually.

Mr. Greer said the heater will be inside the building and the AC units will be outside along the building with nothing on the roof. They will probably be on the east side by Result’s. Chairman Bench requested that Mr. Greer do landscaping that will hide the AC units the same as was required of Result’s.

Mr. Greer noted the engineer has the estimates including the expansion of the retention, water, sewer, pipe, etc. Chairman Bench stated they will need that as soon as possible. The landscape islands have grass and lotus trees. Mr. Greer will copy what Result’s does for landscaping so they will have commonality.

The sign has been reduced so it is ten (10) foot by ten (10) foot so the signage is not over the 20% limit. The Board needs everything complete and include the dumpster. Mr. Mackelprang needs to add the landscaping to the package, detail sheet which shows detail of park bench, garbage can, etc., and send it over. Mr. Greer will call the landscape architect and see if there will continuity between Result’s and Greer’s.

A wrought iron fence would look nice between the buildings and keep people out. The fence would need a gate. Chairman Bench noted the fence cannot be wood, vinyl, or chain link. Mr. Greer said it needs to look nice so it will draw in people. Director Fulgham stated it would be good to have a common management so all properties continue to look good. A common management would control weeds and repaint parking lines. Mr. Greer thanked the Board.

Manager Warnke would like Mr. Capener involved in a meeting to discuss some master plan elements such as traffic. Director Fulgham said there could be property management on the exterior. Chairman Bench said they are waiting on the escrow money, and development agreement.

d. Walk ins*

There were no walk ins.

3. Comments/Reports:

a. Chairman/Zoning Administrator – Steve Bench

No comments.

b. City Engineer – Chris Breinholt

No comments.

c. Recreation Director – Marc Christensen

No comments.

d. Public Works Director – Paul Fulgham

No comments

e. City Manager – Shawn Warnke

No comments.

4. Public comments: Comments limited to five minutes.

No public comments.

5. Adjournment:

Motion by Director Fulgham to adjourn the meeting. Motion seconded by consensus of the Board. The meeting adjourned at 10:41 p.m.

The undersigned duly acting and appointed Recorder for Tremonton City Corporation hereby certifies that the foregoing is a true and correct copy of the minutes of the Land Use Authority Board Meeting held on the above referenced date. Minutes prepared by Deputy Recorder Cynthia Nelson.

Dated this _____day of ___________, 2016

_____________________________
Linsey Nessen, Deputy Recorder

*Utah Code 52-4-202, (6) allows for a topic to be raised by the public and discussed by the public body even though it was not included in the agenda or advance public notice given; however, no final action will be taken.